John Stamos on Voicing Iron Man in 'Marvel's Spidey and His Amazing Friends,' 'Big Shot' Season 2, and More

 From executive producer Harrison Wilcox and director Chris Moreno (based on the characters created by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko), the children's animated series Marvel's Spidey and His Amazing Friends is gearing up to premiere its second season on Disney Junior. The show features some of our favorite webslinging heroes — Peter Parker/Spider-Man (Benjamin Valic), of course, as well as Miles Morales/Spin (Jakari Fraser), Gwen Stacy/Ghost-Spider (Lily Sanfelippo), Peter's Aunt May (Melanie Minichino), Miles' parents Rio and Jeff Morales (Gabrielle Ruiz and Eugene Byrd), and Gwen's mom Helen Stacy (Kari Wahlgren). Many of Spidey's allies have already popped up on the series, from Ms. Marvel (Sandra Saad) to Black Panther (Tru Valentino) and even the Hulk (Armen Taylor) — but Season 2 sees the debut of none other than Iron Man himself, Tony Stark, voiced by John Stamos.


Ahead of the premiere of Marvel's Spidey and his Amazing Friends Season 2, Collider had the opportunity to catch up with Stamos about being cast in the animated series to voice one of the most iconic characters in the Marvel universe. Over the course of the interview, which you can read below, Stamos discussed why he said yes to the part of Iron Man right away, why this role finally got him cool points with his own son, finding his own voice for Iron Man, and why it feels more comfortable to him now to play a mentor figure at this point in his career. He also spoke about the wildest item he has in his impressive Disney memorabilia collection, whether he'd join the live-action MCU if asked, what he can tease about Season 2 of Big Shot, and more.


Collider: How did this opportunity come about? Was it a case of being approached for the role?


JOHN STAMOS: When they asked me to do Iron Man, I said yes right away. I'll tell you why. I did a deep dive, and I always knew that Robert Downey was a genius before watching those things. I knew I couldn't do him. My dad was my superhero. You know how you get to a point where you get older, and you go, "Ah, he's just a man. He's a human." He was always a superhero to me. He was always the coolest dude. He was bigger than life. He was my superhero. I never got into comic books or things. I had to educate myself on it this time.

https://podcast.ausha.co/love-destiny-the-movie-hd/2-love-destiny-the-movie-hd-thai

https://podcast.ausha.co/love-destiny-the-movie-hd/2-love-destiny-the-movie-hd-thai-movies-online

https://podcast.ausha.co/love-destiny-the-movie-hd/2-love-destiny-the-movie-hd-au

https://podcast.ausha.co/love-destiny-the-movie-hd/2-love-destiny-the-movie-hd-thai-ausha

https://podcast.ausha.co/love-destiny-the-movie-hd/2-love-destiny-the-movie-hd-thai-ausha-2022

https://podcast.ausha.co/love-destiny-the-movie-hd/one-piece-film-red-hd-anime-movies

https://podcast.ausha.co/love-destiny-the-movie-hd/one-piece-film-red-2022-hd-123movie

https://podcast.ausha.co/love-destiny-the-movie-hd/one-piece-film-red-hd

https://podcast.ausha.co/love-destiny-the-movie-hd/one-piece-film-red-hd-movies-online

https://www.firstclasstrouble.com/profile/0ne-piece-film-red-anime-dubb-thai-full-movie-4k/profile

https://www.sciwrirockies.com/profile/watch-one-piece-film-red-subb-thai-ultra-hd-321/profile

https://podcast.ausha.co/love-destiny-the-movie-hd/contorted-hd-k-movies-online

https://podcast.ausha.co/love-destiny-the-movie-hd/more-than-friend-hd-thai

https://podcast.ausha.co/love-destiny-the-movie-hd/emergency-declaration-hd-movies-online

[My son] is four. I've spent his entire life trying to convince him, hope that his dad is cool, and it hasn't [worked]. The other day we were driving in the car and the Beach Boys come on. I say, "Is your dad cool, that he plays [with] the Beach Boys?" He took this long beat. He said, "Dad, do you know the Beatles?" I came home and his nanny didn't know I was coming home early. I walked in, they were watching Full House, and I said, "you're grounded" to Billy. I fired the nanny. I'm kidding. Now, I'll say, "Billy, can you put your toys away?" [and] he goes, mocking, "You got it, dude."


Then a few months later, he was also watching Spidey. I remember sitting there watching Spidey and His Amazing Friends with him going, "This is such a cute show." You want to watch things before your kids do. Then, when I became Iron Man, boy, he thought that was the coolest thing.


STAMOS: Yeah, but not for other things that I do. It was finally when I did a voice on these things. The Iron Man thing is interesting. I haven't done this, and you want to come in and really have respect for the legacy of this character. Luckily, they all do over there. First of all, he's the first adult to come into that world. They're all kids, so that was interesting. I came in doing a little bit of Robert Downey, the speech pattern. They said, "no, no, no, no, no, don't do anything. John, do you as Iron Man." It took me a few minutes. The thing that I latched onto first was the mentor quality of him. My father died pretty young. I was always gravitating towards older gentlemen as mentors. Garry Marshall and those guys. That, I really sparked to. Now, at my age, these kids are all coming around seeking mentors. I was like, "Okay, now it's my turn to pay it forward." That feels comfortable to me, to do that with the kids.


STAMOS: When eBay first started, the very first auction they did was a bunch of Disney stuff. The first thing was they were auctioning off the Disneyland sign, which was out there, right there at Harbor Boulevard. The first bid was like $32,000 or something. I thought, "I'll just [bid] for the heck of it." It was supposed to go for a million dollars. Then I said, "I wonder what's going on with that auction?" I clicked into it 10 days later. I was like, "Oh God, I'm winning this." I kept refreshing, refreshing. It was 10 minutes to go. I called my business manager. "I think I'm going to get this sign from Disney." He was like, "How big is it?" It's like 14 by eight? 14 inches by..." No, no, no. 14 feet. That was the beginning.


20 years ago, people weren't collecting Disney. People didn't even know you could get it. These guys started doing auctions. I haven't done much of that, but I collected stuff over the years. The coolest thing I think that I have now, and it was the one thing that I spent money on, real money, I have Walt Disney's candlestick phone that was in his apartment on Main Street above the fire station. There's a beautiful... I think it's National Geographic, it's a beautiful photo layout of him with his grandkids and his wife, and they're in that room, and he's talking on the phone. I have that. My son will occasionally grab it if I don't have it cased, and he'll go, "Walt, hey, hi, it's Billy. Walt?"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paradise Highway is the kind wayward

Peter Jackson's 'The Lord of the Rings' Review: A Fantasy Epic Without Compare

'Jaws' Review: A Thriller That Left Me Rooting For the Shark